Some early notes heading into the Cubs’ series finale Sunday vs. the Yankees:
* A win Sunday would give the Cubs consecutive series wins for the first time since Sept. 27-Oct. 3 last season at San Diego and Houston.
* CC Sabathia is the fourth Cy Young winner the Cubs will face in a 10-game stretch, which began against the Phillies’ Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee. They also faced the Brewers’ Zack Greinke.
* Kosuke Fukudome has a .402 on-base percentage in 46 games as the leadoff man. That’s the highest OBP for any leadoff hitter in baseball.
* The Cubs are 20-15 when the starters go at least six innings, and 9-26 when they don’t. Cubs starting pitchers have thrown 384 1/3 innings, tied for fewest in MLB with the Orioles.
* During Saturday’s broadcast, Carlos Zambrano was caught on camera trying to get FoxSports’ Ken Rosenthal’s attention from the dugout. According to Rosenthal, Big Z was clearly upset. Rosenthal had written about Zambrano’s willingness to waive his no-trade clause if the Cubs wanted to move him but Rosenthal didn’t mention during the pregame show nor when the topic was discussed with Joe Buck and Tim McCarver how Zambrano wants to stay with the team.
As Rosenthal states, “Athletes and other public figures frequently complain that they are quoted out of context. In Zambrano’s case, I did not relay the full context. The news was that he was willing to accept a trade, but he also had told me he loved Chicago, loved Cubs fans and didn’t want to leave.”
* Here’s the pitching matchups for the upcoming Interleague series vs. the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field:
Monday: Zambrano (5-4, 4.59 ERA) vs. Gavin Floyd (6-6, 3.94 ERA)
Tuesday: Matt Garza (3-6, 4.14 ERA) vs. Mark Buehrle (6-5, 3.75 ERA)
Wednesday: Doug Davis (1-5, 4.95 ERA) vs. TBD
— Carrie Muskat